Wednesday, July 22, 2009

DIY Veil/Headpiece


When I was planning my wedding I knew that I would want to wear a birdcage veil of some sort. Everywhere I looked they were pretty expensive. I decided that if I really wanted one I was going to have to make it myself. There were, thankfully, a couple of DIY editorials online. 100 Layer Cake blog had a good one in particular that helped me get the materials I would need. Things were going good at first. I made a prototype to see how it would look on me and to make sure that this was the veil I wanted. It wasn't 3 weeks before I was to get married that I started to panic. With everything needing to get done I was running out of time to get this piece made. Luckily for me, I married into a pretty creative family and my new sister-in-law, Ann, happens to be a talented artist.For my wedding gift she made not only my veil and headpiece, but my sister's headpiece as well. She did an amazing job and I love the look it gave to our wedding photos.



Veil Material:
*Regular off-white tulle from Hobby Lobby (about 9 inches of material for length and width, but that will be determined by where you want the veil to fall on your face)
*2 Bobby Pins (use extra pins once the veil is made if you need to shape it more)
*Off-white satin string (used to attach the netting and cover the bobby pins)

Headpieces:
*Feathers
*Crystals
*Felt (creates a stiff backing)
*Bobby Pin/Headband


Ann also made her own feather piece to wear for the wedding



With the netting I had left over I was able to cover two topiaries to help give them a more bridal feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment